What do I do if I receive a contribution and learn that it is ineligible?

You are required to return any contribution that was made or accepted in contravention of the Municipal Elections Act as soon as you learn that it was an ineligible contribution. If you cannot return the contribution, you must turn it over to the city clerk.

Contributions should be returned or paid to the city clerk if the contribution is:

  • made outside your campaign period
  • from an anonymous source (except for donations of $25 or less at a fundraising event)
  • from an ineligible source (e.g. someone who doesn’t live in Ontario, a corporation, etc.)
  • greater than the $1,200 limit or the $5,000 total limit per jurisdiction
  • a cash contribution greater than $25
  • from funds that do not belong to the contributor who gave them to you